Sunday, September 7, 2008

Kick stand

I was replacing my broken kickstand today. Because my centerstand has broken as well, this was quite an emergency :) I got a used replacement from my dealer.

To get to that area, I had to remove lower left side panel first. This is one of the grey panels that sort of wrap underneath the scoot. It is fixed by a bolt and a bunch of screws, some under the "carpet".

The leg itself is fixed by a special bolt in its bracket. The bolt has a thread in it for the detector which shuts down ignition once you kick it open. The further side of the bracket has a thread in it, so there isn't a nut for this bolt.

The hardest part is the spring. It is tight enough to make it impossible to just stretch it with hands. The trick is to hook both ends of the spring and then work the leg into the bracket sort of pushing it against notches on the frame so that the holes align.

This is what it looks like:

Kickstand with the detector hanging

The part hanging is the shutoff switch. It goes over the bolt, and has a groove to hang to the little post above the bolt. Notice there's a little hole under the bolt on the kickstand leg. There's a small pin on the switch that goes in there.

Here's the whole thing mounted. I had to replace the smaller bolt with my own. This is a regular 25mm-long 6M stainless steel bolt with a couple washers. You have to jam it into the thread rather hard. It is not meant to push against the switch as these move separately.

Mounted kickstand close-up
Tools: The large bolt takes a 14mm socket, and the smaller one a 10mm one. You'll also need 10mm socket and a regular Phillips screwdriver to remove the panel.

Related posts:
So my small kickstand just fell off
Broken centerstand

1 comment:

Commercial Real Estate Management Software said...

Very fantastic and well-written article.It,s extremely good and very helpful for me.Thanks for sharing.