Friday, May 30, 2008

How to change oil on a Baron scooter

When it comes to oil, scooters are indeed special. The good news are, there's no oil filter. That's right, zilch oil filters on your scoot. The only exception to this are some really old Vespas. This means no searching for replacement or opening the engine plates like on motorcycles. This also means real fast oil change. The bad news are, there's no oil filter. That means very frequent oil changes. We clean it by throwing it away :)

The "manual" suggests changing oil on my Baron every 500km. The usual suggestion (but not in the manual) is also that one changes the oil more often while the engine is "breaking in", that is first couple thousand kilometer after buying a new scoot. It is in this time that the engine can shed some aluminum chips while "polishing" itself, and you really want them out fast. I've heard of suggestions to change oil every 100-200km for the first 500 or 1000 km. However I didn't do it as often myself as I was trying to find the oil filter replacements in that time :) I normally change my oil between 500 and 1000km.

What you'll need

The brand of oil suggested in the manual is not being produced since 80's or something like that. I use a standard 10W-40 SAE oil for 4-stroke motorcycle engines, made by Castrol.

I use 10W-40 four-stroke oil for my BaronThe important things about this are:
1. It is for four-stroke engines. This is signified by "4T" on the label. Do not use oil for 2-stroke engines on 4-stroke scooters.
2. It is 10W-40 giving enough temperature range. Scooter engines have poor cooling and are prone to overheating.
3. It is a quart bottle, more than you will need for one oil change.
4. It is $4.5o from my local motorcycle store, but can probably get this for cheaper.

Other than a quart of oil, you'll need a narrow-end funnel, a 17mm wrench or hex socket, and some sort of a bucket to drain oil, and perhaps some paper towel ;)

Draining

Oil is drained from a port on the bottom of the engine:

Oil drain plug on Baron scooter
That's right next to the back wheel. The hex head on the drain cap is 17mm. You can undo it with a wrench, but the danger lies in threading the engine when putting it back. A 17mm hex socket and a socket wrench will do you a good service here.

To drain the oil, you'll want your scoot on a center stand. Run it idle for at least two minutes. This thins the oil and helps to get it out. This also makes it hot, so watch out not to burn yourself on engine or the oil. Exhaust will be hot as well. Once I got more skilled at the whole procedure, I would drive it for 5mins or so before starting the oil change.

Once it is warm and firmly on a center stand, put a bucket under the engine. I use a sort of sturdy flat food container with a firm rubber lid. No, I don't put food in it anymore. Less that a quart of oil will come out, so it is easy to pick a suitable container. You may want to cover the area under the engine in case you'll spill some oil.

Unscrew and take out the dipstick.
Dipstick for checking and filling oil on Baron Scooter
It is the black screw-like plastic handle between the engine and exhaust on the pic above. You should have been using it all along to check the oil level. No tools needed, it unscrews by hand.

Undo the oil drain cap. It should come off really easy. Engine is made of aluminum, and it is really easy to blow the thread. Usually as I undo this screw, the oil starts pouring slowly. I then just let the bolt and a few more pieces fall into the oil. I can also use this used oil to wash the pieces from any oil curd that they accumulated.

There are three pieces that come out: the cap (with the hex head) itself, a spring and a mesh bucket. This mesh bucket works as a crude filter. This is what it looks like

Oil drain pieces

Make sure there's nothing stuck on the mesh, around the thread etc. My mesh has a few dents. This happened sometime after the second oil change - must have been something flying around the engine. It never got worse, so I kept the old mesh.

Once the oil stopped dripping (cat take a while), you are ready to put in the fresh stuff.

Here's a view down the drain. Note a hole on the side.

View down the oil change drain hole

Filling fresh oil

Assemble the cap, the mesh and the spring. They go in like like this:

Correct mesh position for changing Baron oil

Once I have this little assembly, I put it back in by hand, and screw the bolt fingertight first. Everything goes in easily. Remember this thing lives in oil :) Once fingertight, tighten it a tad more with a tool. The worst that will happen if it isn't quite tight enough is a slow and fixable oil leak. The drain plug seals with a rubber gasket against the engine. That is, it cannot and should not go in as tight as a normal metal screw.

Fresh oil is added trough the dipstick hole. A narrow funnel is really useful here. It can be hard to tell how much oil to put in. The correct level is set by the lower part of the stick - that is when it is screwed all the way in.

Marks for oil on Baron oil level stick

You don't want to overfill it as undoing the drain bolt should be done completely, which means you will loose all your oil if you have to drain it again. I took a piece of wire and bent it to make a little gauge out of it, comparing it with the dipstick. This can go in and out really quickly to check if I got enough oil already.

Some time after the oil change, you should check the level just in case you may be leaking the oil from the drain plug.

Used oil

Used oil should be recycled - there's all sorts of nasty stuff in it. Any auto store will take oil for recycling in Minnesota. I take mine to Autozone, they point me to a huge drum and I just poor it down. No questions asked.

See also: new oil.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have a Baron; I have a Flyscooter Il Bello, but your article and pictures were the most helpful and complete. I could figure out how to put the oil screen and the spring back into the bottom when I was done draining - thank you for the best help I could find!

Anonymous said...

HAve a TGB 150cc Royal and this has probably been the most helpful web site yet. Great idea hope you keep adding heaps as I still have lots to learn

Unfortunately the drainange cap snapped off for me think the previous owner before me had cemented it in.

BeoWitch said...

Just as a brief side note, I did my first change of oil on my Baron 150-S. It takes exactly 3 cups of oil. Yup, I measured it. We used a paper plate as a funnel to get the new oil in. Worked "okay," but a funnel used for transmission fuel would be ideal for this task.

Thanks for the info. Great site. Helped me get through the oil change with little trauma.

YL said...

Thank you all for the feedback! I am glad to hear this was useful.

To the person with TGB - how are things going with your cap? Did you try to have the thread repaired (i.e. with heli-coils etc) ? It would be great to know.

Beowitch - now that's precision! : ) Btw I sometimes wrap a funnel from a piece of aluminum foil. With some practice these work quite well.

Erica said...

This is awesome! Thank you so much for taking the time to put this info up, it has been very helpful!

I have a question, have you changed out the gear oil? If so, could you put up directions for that as well?

Thanks again!

YL said...

Yes, I did this just recently. I'll make a post soon.

Bill G. said...

Is there an oil filter, like a car?

Bill G. said...

How often should the following be changed?

1.Oil
2.Transmission
3.Brake Fluid

Thanks.

Bill

YL said...

This is to Bill:

Oil should be changed between 500 (says the manual) and 1000km (says everybody else). Do it more often if the engine is new.

Gear oil and brake fluid should both be replaced at least once a year. Gear oil may need to be changed more often if you ride a lot - 4000km is considered a year's worth of riding.

No there's no oil filter, just a reusable screen cup.

Yarko

Bill G. said...

Yarko - Thanks a lot!

Are you in the MPLS area?

Bill G. said...

It is time to do my first oil change. I am nervous about doing this myself, but I am going to give it a go.

Yarko - you seem like quite the expert. Any additional advice for novice mechanics?

Bill G. said...

First oil change complete! My scoot is only at 291km, but by the looks of the oil, it was ready.

Note on putting the plug back in - If you rinse off the cap cap and dry with a rag it is much easier to get back on.

Recycling Oil - Not all auto parts stores take oil. I ended up going to a local gas station that also does service. They were able to recyle it for me.

Oil Plug Tightness - I am a little worried that the plug is not tight enough or that it is too tight. I put a paper towel under to check for leaks. I hand tightened, then with an adj. wrench tightened about 1/2 turn. I'll keep you posted...

Bill G. said...

After an hour of riding, and a night in the garage there is no leakage.

This is easy to do and will get you more intouch with your scoot.

I have never done any automotive maintenance. With the help of this site I was able to do this with little effort.

You can do it too!

YL said...

Well, sounds good! Sorry didn't call you. Just make you don't over tighten it. At the and I hold the ratchet right next to socket and just turn it with my wrist till it's tight. No great effort.

You should know that motor oil has all sorts of stuff in it, including what amounts to detergent for the tar buildup in the engine. For this reason it gets darkened really soon, but the color change alone does not mean it necessary gone bad. On the other hand, maybe yours was worn out for real!

Anonymous said...

I have a Jet Star 150 and just changed the oil using your excellent instructions. Everything went well. I am glad I changed the oil, there were alluminum shavings already. Now, I have to top off the braking fluid, but looks like they tightened the screws too much.
Thanks again for the blog!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the oil change info. It worked great on my Baron 150R. I have another question. Now do you drain the carburator to store the scooter for winter. I've been told I need to do that, in addition to putting stabilizer in the gas.

Dave in Bloomington

IIN3RDYII said...

Mobile 1 10w40 is amazingg highly recommend it !!! makes the bike go up to 70M!! no problem

Immanuel Llorens said...

Changing oil for your engine is very vital to ensure the longevity of the engine. How often should you change the oil of a Baron scooter?

YL said...

IIN3RDYII -- this is wrong, you should use engine oil designed for motorcycles. I easily had 80 mpg, so not sure is going to 70 mpg would be an improvement! :D

YL

Immanuel Llorens said...

I had a Honda Dio 3 scooter when I was younger, which I later sold for a better and bigger Honda Zoomer. Basically, the process is the same. The advantage of scooters is that they are small enough to be modified and maintained using a few simple tools at home. You can change your oil within a few minutes on a lazy afternoon.

Anonymous said...

http://www.chinesescooterreference.com/pdf/GY6Manual.pdf

http://www.chinesescooterreference.com/pdf/arrow150_engine_service_manual.pdf

http://www.chinesescooterreference.com/pdf/dawgscootermanual.pdf

Manuals of Baron scooter clones, hope they are helpful.