Saturday, July 28, 2007

Group Scooter Ride

Scooters are cute. Kids wave at you. People on the road start talking to you. Girls kiss you. Well, or at least maybe they want to. To boost the cuteness effect, you just get more scooters out there! So I go for scooter rides. You get to know people, to see other scoots, to hear the owner's opinions whilst they are not trying to sell you stuff. You also learn about evens, dealerships and even places to get funny T-shirts. Then, there's the ride itself! I am in fact learning of great places in the cities I've never been to.

Riding is also a great way to improve your skills. You ride in a staggered formation, sort of a checker board pattern (hey did you read that motorcycle license book?). The formation goes like an animal pack, everybody at their position and sides of the lanes. You don't choose the path and you don't really choose the speed, so keeping the formation tight is quite an exercise! In fact you can see the newbies right away - they fly into the other side of the lane at turns. Come next time, it's all smooth and clean though.It doesn't take long to get accustomed to this, and you'll be a better and more confident rider on your own.

I found these rides through Google, which in fact pointed my to MeetUp.com , which turns out to be a great site for all sorts of interest groups. Check it out and see if there are scooter meetups in your area. Who knows maybe you'll get to meet great people. And if there isn't one, perhaps you could start your own!

1 comment:

Bill G. said...

I bought a 150cc Baron RS today. So far so good. I put about 100km on it today. I noticed a lot of Minneapolis references on this Blog. I live in Richfield and would like to learn more about my Baron, do some riding and talk some shop. If interested, My name is Bill. Call or E-mail at 612-866-0646 / godbewi@go.metrostate.edu