Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Parking

Scooters are easy to park. In fact, you can park them pretty much anywhere. That's because they are not exactly vehicles, but rather motorized bicycles, and bicycles are sort of like pedestrians, they can go wherever.

So at least in Twin Cities it is allowed to park a 50cc scooter (which qualifies as moped) anywhere a bicycle could park. That includes bicycle racks and simply sidewalks. Now that's cool.

Baron 150SX, while being a scooter is of course legally a motorcycle, not a moped. But I park it anywhere anyways. I park it at a bicycle ramp at school everyday, and I chained it on sidewalk in Downtown, right during a busy Friday evening. Now that's convenient! So far so good - no tickets, and it's been more then a month since I got it. Even if I cannot park at the racks, I can always get myself a motorcycle parking lot - those are like hundred bucks a year.

As scooter popularity grows and with the whole environment awareness thing, my bet is cops will get even more lenient towards scooters. As the cc-age grows, there will be more large scooters, and hopefully there will be ever more options for parking etc.

No comments: