Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Thottle cable snap-off

Apparently my throttle cable snapped off this evening. The throttle handle turns and moves the cable, but there's no effect on the engine which stays at idle speeds. This was probably in the making for quite a while as I felt slight but really weird slipping in the throttle handle from some time ago. The funny part is, it snapped right on the highway.

I figured leaving it right there will probably mean towing, and towing means money and inevitable damage as there's no easy way to transport a scooter with a standard tower especially without a centerstand, and that means even more money. And in any case I wouldn't want to leave my fave toy to some weird police people. So I pushed it towards exit which happened to be quite close. Good thing this was in the city. Anyways after I pushed it out it only made sense to keep going. Just checked - I went about 1.5 miles. Mostly on the curb but sometimes on the side of the road. The scary part was getting it out of the highway - it was quite dark and there was plenty of traffic.

Anyways, remember I hoped I wouldn't get all the possible breakdowns on my Baron? Just forget about it.

The learning is of course not to push the throttle to hard when twisting it all the way. I.e. twist it all the way but don't cram it in there. No surprise it snapped on the hightway.

No comments: